Ahhh... there's no place I'd rather be today than visiting the lovely House of Turquoise!!  (Well, unless you count sitting on a sandy white beach staring at a turquoise sea).  I'm Amanda from Dixie Delights and am thrilled to be filling in for Erin today and sharing my eight year old son's new room.

Just for kicks, take a gander at the room on move in day.  It had about as much vanity as a dust mop, what with its blue stained carpet, dark wood trim, outdated ceiling fan and popcorn ceiling.  In the plus column was the size, the two generous windows and the two closets.

April 2009 096

We literally changed the entire room - from floor to ceiling - and here’s how it looks today!  My little one expressed his desire to have blue, black and lots of fish in the space.  So we went with that.

November 2013 305 copy copy 
 November 2013 363 copy

Sources:
Paint - Benjamin Moore Clay Beige (walls) and Benjamin Moore Alabaster (trim)
Floor - unstained white oak
Rug - Ballard Designs Trellis Rug
Lantern – Pottery Barn Bolton Lantern
Reading lights – Pottery Barn Barclay Arc Sconce
Floor Lamp - Ballard Designs Julian Apothecary Floor Lamp


November 2013 373 copy

November 2013 375 copy

Mother and I made the silhouette pillows from the littles’ actual Clay Rice silhouettes a couple of years ago.  The Skipjack sheet sets are by Southern Tide.  The quilts, duvets and euro shams are all from Pottery Barn, and the little mirrors are from One Fish Two Fish in Savannah.

November 2013 335 copy      
November 2013 340 copy

November 2013 342 copy  
I tacked fabric up on the back of the bookcase earlier this year to infuse a little of the requested black in the space (Cameron Black by Premier Prints).  The occasional table is Threshold for Target.  I love having all this space to store his ever growing collection of books and such.
  November 2013 355 copy

August 2013 431 copy
 
August 2013 424 copy
 

November 2013 361 copy

I love a good gallery wall almost as much as a bookshelf!  Old Try sent me the Red Ryder print for Christmas last year and I knew the moment I opened it that it would live in here.  In addition to old and current photos, I’ve framed a vintage map of Georgia, our house portraits, a special monogrammed bib, a silhouette, the lyrics to Moon River, his John Derian plate, and some rules I made for always being a Southern gentleman.

November 2013 306 copy

November 2013 307 copy

November 2013 310 copy 
November 2013 313 copy

November 2013 317 copy

The curtains are Robert Allen Linen Duck with Towers by Premier Prints on the trim.  The antique dresser was the first piece of furniture I purchased for his nursery more than eight years ago.  (I know, I know.  Most people would have gone with the crib but it was a fantastic excuse to ensure Honey said YES.)  The fish painting is by the darling Catherine Lovett of Savannah.
 November 2013 363 copy

November 2013 345 copy 
November 2013 366 copy

November 2013 352 copy

   
I was so so so so so SO excited when I found the Home Decorators Marie Arm Chair in the store discounted to more than half off!!!  The Accordian Side Table is from Urban Outfitters and holds more of John’s treasures.

November 2013 303 copy copy 
November 2013 330 copy 

Whew!  Last but not least is the little desk area tucked into the corner.  It was Mother’s desk as a child, then my desk as a child, and now I’m honored to be able to pass it down to John.  The gorgeous fish painting is by Angie Reuter.  She’s a very special lady to little John, so he adores having her work in his room.  The LED desk lamp was compliments of Lamps Plus – John chose it himself and I love it’s sleek design!!  My littles love to have places to keep their “treasures” and it took no time at all for John to fill up the wire box.  The silver cup belonged to Honey’s grandfather and now holds John’s loose change.  Honey made the chalk board message center and I tacked up a little clothesline to hang special invitations, pictures and practical things like spelling words.

November 2013 262 copy

November 2013 268 copy

November 2013 270 copy2

November 2013 283 copy

With that, I think I’ve covered every square inch of the room.   I think this space will serve the little one well for years to come.  THANK YOU, Erin, for having me today.  It's always a pleasure!!

xoxo

See all of my Before & After decor here and our House Tour here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top